Here are a few tips that can help:
- Check the seals on your refrigerator and freezer annually.
- Vacuum your refrigerator and freezer coils twice a year.
- Clean your dishwasher filter twice a year.
- Scrub mineral deposits off the spray arms of your dishwasher with hot distilled white vinegar.
- Check the water-fill hoses on your washing machine for signs of wear.
- Keep your washing machine's lint filter clean.
- Wash your dryer's lint filter with warm soapy water two to three times a year.
- Drain your hot water heater once a year.
- Check your oven seal once a year.
- Follow the owner's manual for how to keep your gas or electric stove clean.
When it is time to replace your appliances, look for products that conserve energy. I'm hoping to buy a moisture-sensing or auto-dry clothes dryer the next time around.
Do you perform regular maintenance on your appliances? What is your next major appliance purchase?